Thursday, April 21, 2011

Frankenstein - The End

"I shall die, and what I now feel be no longer felt. Soon these burning miseries will be extinct." p. 211

Well that's pretty much sadder than a box full of hungry hungry kittens. Honestly, it's a wonder why the most suicide-prone profession is not writers. They simply strike me as such a depressing bunch of people. I feel as though the ratio of sad endings to happy endings in literature is somewhere around 1000:1. It's reached the point where it's not even realistic anymore. People argue, in real life, not everything is a happy ending....Which is certainly true, but I like to think that they constitute more than .1% of the endings in the world. Yesterday, I drove to school. On the way, I was not involved in a fatal car accident. Happy Ending. I forgot to do my math homework, but I finished it before class. Happy Ending. Honestly, I think that happy endings occur more often than sad endings. Or perhaps i'm just an extremely fortunate person. Who knows.

But I digress.

Let's talk about that ending, shall we? So Frankenstein finally finishes his story, and then he dies. Convenient, am I right? Sure would've made a crappy story if he died halfway through chapter 14. So then Mario also shows up, and I am still amazed by his ability to sneak about utterly undetected despite his massive size. He weeps over the body of his Daddy, taking the blame for his death. Now that vengeance has been exacted, he's not really happy at all. He's just a miserable little giant. And now, according to the quote above, he's just going to truck off to the north pole either to die or start working in Santa's Workshop. The ending is pretty ambiguous, so I'm still pulling for the latter. Sequel, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment